Monday, August 4, 2014

Cynthia Kane's Internship, Summer 2014 - Part 3

Last week was a whirlwind! Between finishing up experiments, working on my final presentation, and packing, I hardly had a free moment!

Picking up where I left off in the last blog post, the DNA sequences from samples 16 and 36 are still being analyzed, and the results will arrive sometime this upcoming week. I tried to make clone libraries with several more samples, but they were much less successful than the other two; a little less than a fourth of the plates developed colonies, and even those that did develop only had about 10 to 20 colonies -- nowhere near enough for a clone library. Having tested all other factors, including the agar plates, the electroporator, the vector/salt solution, we think that that the problem is the E. coli cells. Joe ordered new cells, and they should arrive sometime this week as well. Hopefully we will see better results with the new cells!

Other than the clone libraries, I worked on my final powerpoint presentation. As part of the internship, I was required to give a 15-minute presentation, explaining where I worked, what I did, and the results of my 10 weeks. The presentation took place Thursday, July 31st, at Stennis Space Center. I spoke in front of the other NGI-NOAA interns, their mentors, and various people from NGI, NOAA, and Deep-C. I will admit, I was pretty nervous; I don’t really enjoy public speaking. After the first few slides however, I realized that it wasn’t so bad; I knew what I was talking about, and everyone there was just interested in what I had done. This realization made the presentation much easier! After the presentations, Tina, the program organizer, and Natalie, the intern coordinator, took all the interns out for a BBQ dinner at a place called The Shed. All and all, I’d say it was a perfect way to end the program.

Friday morning, Natalie drove us all to the Mobile Regional Airport. We all had the same 1:19pm flight to Chicago, IL. When we arrived at the airport, we were told that the flight had been delayed by an hour and a half. Due to the delay, I had to reschedule my connecting flight. It wasn’t bad though; Bruce, the man at the ticket counter, made sure everything worked out. After changing my flight arrangements, it was just a hop, skip, and jump home to DC!

Now, as I sit in my room writing this final blog post, I can’t help but be amazed at the summer I’ve had and all of the incredible people that I’ve met, including Dr. Snyder, Dr. Jeffrey, Joe Moss, Katie, Josette, and Marie. While I’m sad that it’s over, I’m also so grateful to have been given this opportunity. And so I’d like to thank Deep-C and the NGI-NOAA Diversity Internship Program for giving me a summer to remember!

Posted By:
Cynthia Kane, University of West Florida

No comments:

Post a Comment