Friday, July 11, 2014

Erica Levine's Internship, Summer 2014 - Part 2

As working in the collection progress, I am picking up a lot of useful information about how to deal with problems that arise. First, we ran into problems with setting up the database in a way that would make it easy for anyone to enter new collection objects or search for existing specimens. Next, we discovered that some of the labels we currently have are not suitable for long-term storage in ethanol with the specimens. Since the labels we had would not work, we had to design new labels, figure out what ink and paper would be best to use, and how or where to print the labels. So far, Ryan and I have explored Specify and how to get it to do what we want for the database, and we've investigated how to design labels for all the jars in the collection. With a little help from the program’s technical support, we are a few steps closer to being able to catalog and label all the specimens. By the end of the week we hope to have the database entry forms ready to go so we can start entering all of the jars into the database. Once we can order the correct paper and best printer for making ethanol resistant labels, we’ll be able to start the process of relabeling all existing jars in the collection. While the going has been slow, we've finally made some good headway and will be able to jump into organizing the collection even more soon.

Posted By:
Erica Levine, Florida State University










No comments:

Post a Comment