Friday, May 30, 2014

Sam Holladay's Internship, Summer 2014 - Part 1

Hi, my name is Sam Holladay, and I am working in the Deep-C Program at the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) in the Stennis Space Center, Mississippi, under Sergio deRada. I will be a sophomore next year, studying Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of California, Berkeley. This is my third summer spent working at NRL, where I previously spent time working with my twin sister, Rachel, as an intern to create a dynamic ocean modeling and analysis web page (http://www7330.nrlssc.navy.mil/GOMMS/index.html).

This summer we plan to move towards a new project focused on "adaptive climatology," in which the climatological model assimilates observed data to improve its forecasts and modeling algorithms. This "Adaptive Ecosystem Climatology" project will include educational outreach to local schools and crowdsourced data collection, where students and teachers will use kits (designed by our team) to collect water data such as temperature, salinity, and turbidity, and send it to our model. I will focus on developing an iPhone app for users to collect and send in data, making them a part of the larger project. Considering how much I have learned over the past two summers and how much these opportunities have benefited me, I am excited to dive back into work with NRL this summer and learn even more research and computer science skills. I am grateful to the Deep-C Consortium, NRL, Mr. Derada, and my coworkers for giving me this opportunity and working with me.

Posted By:
Sam Holladay, Naval Research Laboratory

No comments:

Post a Comment