Thursday, May 29, 2014

Rachel Holladay's Internship, Summer 2014 - Part 1

Hello, my name is Rachel Holladay and I am participating in the Deep-C program at the Naval ResearchLaboratory (NRL) at the Stennis Space Center under the guidance of Sergio deRada. I am a rising sophomore at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where I study Computer Science with a double major in Robotics. At CMU I am a researcher with the Robotics Institute where I focus on collaborative manipulation within the context of human-robot interaction in the Personal Robotics Lab. For the past two summers my twin brother Sam and I have come to NRL and we are excited to be back for a third time, this time with Deep-C. In past summers we developed a dynamic website to display biophysical data about the Gulf of Mexico (http://www7330.nrlssc.navy.mil/GOMMS/index.html).

This summer we are starting a new project on a team working to develop an Adaptive Ecosystem Climatology (AEC). Part of the project includes a crowdsourcing data collection scheme where high school classes gather oceanographic data that they can report back through a mobile app. That data is then assimilated into the model, which can also be viewed on the app. Due to my robotics background most of my work will be developing a ROV (remotely operated underwater vehicle) that allows the high schoolers to collect a variety of data fields from temperature to turbidity. Considering that my previous work with NRL was entirely software based, switching to an engineering-based task is exciting new territory.

Posted By:
Rachel Holladay, Naval Research Laboratory

No comments:

Post a Comment