Monday, May 19, 2014

Katherine Vaccaro's Internship, Summer 2014 - Part 1

Hello everyone!

My name is Katherine Vaccaro (Katie for short!) and I am a rising senior at the University of West Florida in Pensacola, FL. I am currently studying marine biology, although I have a strong passion for genetics! I have a soft spot for sharks, which is how I got started in the biological sciences! I decided I wanted to be an aquarist and be responsible for shark husbandry after going diving with the beauties for my 16th birthday. I got my SSI SCUBA certification and an internship at a local aquarium taking care of elasmobranchs, and I thought I had found my calling.

During my junior year, I got involved in a shark lab at my university and I was exposed to the world of lab research! After a week, I was hooked. I fell in love with research and field work, and decided I wanted to expand my lab skills and do new research. I took this Deep-C internship lead by Dr. Richard Snyder here at the Center for Environmental Diagnostics and Bioremediation at UWF, where I am researching molecular microbial oceanography. I’ll be taking samples of microorganisms and extracting DNA to better understand their distribution and ecology! I am super excited for this opportunity and I am eager to learn all about these little microbes!

Posted By:
Katie Vaccaro, University of West Florida

No comments:

Post a Comment