Monday, February 10, 2014

Meaghan Faletti's Internship, Spring 2014 - Part 3

Greetings from the Sorting Lab!

 I am unfortunately slightly behind due to a short sickness and a "snow day" that FSU announced last week. Now, I am back in the lab and picking up my rhythm again.

I'm now fully trained to do all the work I can in the lab! First, sediment samples are rinsed of the formaldehyde used to preserve them from collection time, then it is stained with a pink-colored dye to make the animals visible. After the stain has taken effect, samples are rinsed again and viewed through the scope. Animals are picked out and put in separate vials according to categories - polychaetes, nematodes, isopods, etc. To the right is a picture of the vials with organisms sorted out! We've been working hard and getting a LOT of samples done this week!  

Posted by:
Meaghan Faletti, FSU

No comments:

Post a Comment