Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Meaghan Faletti's Internship, Spring 2014 - Part 1

Hello! My name is Meaghan! I recently graduated from Florida State University with a Bachelor's degree in Biology with a concentration in Marine Biology, and minors in Chemistry and Physics. Yes, it was as exhausting as it sounds! I am an avid outdoors-woman and spend my free time backpacking, trail running, climbing and kayaking. With my love for the outdoors, I spent several semesters of my undergraduate years doing field work in the local coastal habitats. I decided it was time for a change of pace.

I chose the internship with the Deep-C Consortium in order to broaden my horizons and expose myself to some lab work, which I wasn't very familiar with. Outside of Chem and Bio lab requirements, I have never worked in one before! I am interning in Dr. Amy Baco-Taylor's lab under the mentorship of the knowledgeable Arvind! I have been sorting through sediment samples in search of small invertebrates and meiofauna. Just in my first week, I've noticed huge improvements in my abilities to identify and differentiate between the species found in the samples.

I hope to pursue a Master's degree in Fish Ecology in the near future, though I plan to explore other opportunities until I find the perfect program. The Deep-C internship is a great way for me to get experience and expose myself to other topics in question in Marine Science! I am also spending my spare time with the Sea-to-See program in which we bring touch tanks with marine critters to local schools to show how fun marine biology is! This, along with the Deep-C internship, will hopefully prepare me even more for my graduate education.

Posted by:
Meaghan Faletti, FSU

1 comment: