Monday, November 18, 2013

Joseph Guerrera’s Research Blog - Part 1

Hello all. 

My name is Joseph Guerrera and I am a freshman undergraduate researcher at Florida State University from Clearwater, Florida. I am taking part in an internship with Deep-C scientist Dr. Nico Wienders through the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP). The program is designed to introduce me to oceanography and research. Over the remainder of this fall and spring semester, I will be working alongside Dr. Wienders examining hydrology in the Gulf of Mexico, primarily in the De Soto Canyon. 

My internship will consist of several parts. Currently I am learning everything I can about oceanography and circulation patterns in the Gulf of Mexico in order to better grasp what the project is all about. I have also started learning MATLAB, which we will begin using very soon. One of the first tasks will be to compare data with model projections using MATLAB. In the coming weeks model data will be obtained from researchers at several universities, and after the model data is collected and organized it will be compared to the experimental data obtained in the Gulf. 

I am excited to begin my research career at Florida State with this internship. And through my participation in the Deep-C project, I hope to gain a better understanding of the physical properties of the Gulf of Mexico and oceanography in general. In the coming weeks I look forward to posting updates on our progress comparing model data to experimental data using MATLAB.

Posted By: 
Joseph Guerrera
Florida State University

No comments:

Post a Comment