Friday, September 27, 2013

Mahmud Hasan Ghani's Internship, Fall 2013 - Part 2

Monthly Temperature Variation 

Yes, now my days are going with only analyses can be termed as analytical season; Coriolis force, Ekman layer, Fluid Motion, Geostrophic Flows, Vorticity Dynamics in Dynamical Oceanography; Statistical Data analysis for Oceanography and Meteorology. And of course my practical work experience with the data analysis of Sail Buoy.

It’s just fantastic, if you know how to use mapping functions in Matlab with your desired geographical location and data. For last few days, I have been trying to segregate my monthly combined data into weekly sets. It was my experimental analysis that I have planned to move in step by step. Because of all data are in text format and fit for full map view; but I wanted to do it in my own way, in the most common MS Excel sheet. Reading from text format in Matlab according to my weekly set was making errors, then the easier functions I got that Matlab can read Excel file also.

Sea Surface Temperature is one of the dominant physical properties of ocean which I selected for mapping at first and all data are divided into nine weeks SST data sets to get the shorter period temperature variation. It looks great when I run all the figures in Matlab script; the moving of Sail Buoy including color changes that indicate variation of temperature distinctly. Clearly observing the difference of temperature between April and May; when average temperature of in April was 22° C, it went up to 23.5° C in May. It’s noted that in May, 2013 Sail Buoy covered the most deep sea portion of Gulf of Mexico.






Posted By:
Mahmud Hasan Ghani, Norwegian Meteorological Institute

No comments:

Post a Comment