Friday, July 19, 2013

Taylor Shropshire's Internship, Summer 2013 - Part 1

My first week at the Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies was an interesting one. The first few days I was busy meeting people and presenting my past project on the numerical model ELCOM-CAEDYM. COAPS is interested in learning more about aquatic ecosystem models such as CAEDYM to simulate the biogeochemistry in the Gulf of Mexico. In my past project I was interested in primarily hypoxia in the Gulf of Mexico and hope to analyze, validate and add to my current simulation with the help of individuals here at COAPS.

I was introduced to MATLAB early in the week and have been able to load data from my ELCOM-CAEDYM simulation. MATLAB is a valuable skill and I am excited to start gaining experience. I created a salinity vs chlorophyll scatter plot and have started to familiarize myself with MATLAB basics.

I look forward to the next weeks and hope that I can make my short internship here at COAPS a productive one!

Posted By:
Taylor Shropshire, Florida State University

2 comments:

  1. This is the first time that you are using Matlab ? How did you learn it with short time? What are easiest ways to learn it ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People at COAPS helping me has been a large contributor. I have only learned the basics and had data to play with, which helped. I have been looking at some youtube videos. Do you have data to load and play with?

      Delete