Monday, July 1, 2013

Lauren Reilly's Internship, Summer 2013 - Part 4

Every Friday, the lab gets together to have bagels for breakfast. I really like this because it gives everyone a chance to meet and get to know professors, PIs, other students who attend the College of Marine Science, and people who work or intern in the lab. Having everyone together once a week has really helped build a strong and positive community. After bagels and people leave to their respective work, other summer interns and I have a discussion on previously published papers regarding the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.


We take turns leading a discussion to go over terminology, background information, the objective of the paper, primary findings, and talk about what the takeaway message is. Discussing these papers has given me a rounded view on how our projects in the paleolab fit into the big picture. Not only does this help me learn more about the oil spill, it is helping me develop as a scientist. Part of being a scientist is being able to talk about science and telling people about a project or significant finding. I like having these discussions because it gives me practice clarifying information and explaining graphs. It’s interesting hearing others’ input about the papers, because someone will pick up on something another person didn’t or will have some awesome background information to share with the group. I am very impressed by the knowledge of my peers and am happy to be working with them this summer in the paleo lab.

Post Author: Lauren "Ren" Reilly, University of South Florida

No comments:

Post a Comment