Friday, June 29, 2012

Stan Cutler's Research Experiences for Teachers, Summer 2012 - Part 3

Week 3 (June 25-29)


The off-grid zero emissions building on the FSU campus.
Wednesday was a very fun day! I was able to join outreach coordinator Meredith Field, assistant state climatologist Melissa Griffin, and PhD student Sarah Strazzo on an outreach presentation at a local summer camp. Melissa’s slide presentation culminated with a popular cloud in a bottle, Sarah taught the students to build take-home thermometers, and I was able to run a few fluid demonstrations of my own. The students were very curious and attentive, and I enjoyed getting my “teacher fix” for the summer! I later took advantage of a tour on campus of the amazing off-grid zero emission building. This house/laboratory is one of only 15 in the country that have earned a platinum (highest level) LEED certification (and it looked like an awesome place to tailgate before an FSU football game!). I also was privileged to see the famous “bouncing bottles” demonstration run by Dr. Ruby Krishnamurti, Professor Emerita of Oceanography. Dr. Ruby is a wealth of information, and I highly enjoy conversing with her in the GFDI (Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Institute) lab.

My model canyon in the wave tank.
Thursday was partly a filming day, and I look forward to seeing a video that is being produced by Meredith Field and tech wiz Kris Suchdeve about the Deep-C RET program. We did some “canyon testing” in the wave tank in GFDI, and then moved over to the Oceanography building to visit Dr. Wienders. Nico discussed the importance of the DeSoto Canyon research to both science and society. He has certainly helped inspire me as to the importance of educators like myself sharing what we learn with our students, who would normally not be exposed to the research from organizations like Deep-C.

I will be heading home to Orlando for the weekend, halfway through my six week experience. I hope the next three weeks are as good as the first three were!

Data from three vessels around DeSoto canyon being graphed using MATLAB software.
My morning walks inspire me. I hope the way we treat the environment allows it to remain "unconquered."
Post Author:
Stan Cutler

No comments:

Post a Comment