Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Emily Goetz's Internship, Summer 2014 - Part 3

Hello again!

These past few weeks, I have been busy helping with a medley of different projects around the lab. I have been assisting with one of Dr. Gosnell's oyster aquaculture projects, in which he is testing the non-consumptive effects of blue crabs and king conchs on oyster growth with different periods of exposure to the predators. The project has been running for almost a month now, and, last week, we removed the first half of oysters from each of the cages to measure their growth. With 20 oysters removed from each of the 52 cages in the experiment, we have been pretty busy measuring and weighing. In addition to assisting with the oyster projects, I have been working on a digital guide to the sessile invertebrates of the hardbottom reefs in this region. So far I have been assembling a collection of photos and information related to the corals and sponges of the reefs. Next, I plan to start on the tunicates, bryozoans, and mollusks. Although this is the last week I will physically be at the lab, I hope to continue working on some of these projects or to at least keep up with their progress.

Posted By:
Emily Goetz, Florida State University

Friday, August 15, 2014

Rachel Holladay's Internship, Summer 2014 - Part 6

...and the end. Well, basically. Today is the last day of my internship.

Since my previous blog post, some of the team drove down to Bay St Louis to test the ROV in the bay, take some samples and measurements and discuss the upcoming plans with the high school teacher we are working with. It was an extremely enlightening experience that really helped things move forward. The water samples we collected were subjected to a large round of aquarium kit testing which gave details on the conditions.


The ROV has the many tweaks that are customary of the end of prototyping and I am pleased to include these pictures of its (for now) final form. Its capabilities include: GoPro camera system, Arduino powered temperature and depth logging system, active and passive water collector systems and a carefully designed buoyancy system designed to allow the ROV to sink and float as needed.

As this is my final send­off, I want to thank the Deep-C Consortium for this opportunity and this summer, its been a pleasure. I particularly want to thank my mentor, Sergio deRada, for his several years of kind and enthusiastic teaching and guidance. I have spent my past three summers at the Naval Research Laboratory and it has been an absolute joy so I thank everyone who has made my experience possible.

And so...the end.

Posted By:
Rachel Holladay, Naval Research Laboratory

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Emily Goetz's Internship, Summer 2014 - Part 2

Hi everyone! Things have been busy these past few weeks, and I can't believe my internship is already halfway over. I have been getting adjusted to living and working at the lab, and time has flown by. My work on the Atlantis project thus far has been largely based in research, with the goal of developing my preliminary understanding of the project. I have been reading about the existing models and am starting to build a deeper understanding of Atlantis and the goals for the northern Gulf of Mexico model. In addition, living at the lab has given me the opportunity to assist with other projects, and, in addition to working on Atlantis, I have been helping with the field data collection for some of Dr. Gosnell's other research endeavors, specifically his projects related to oyster aquaculture. In the next few weeks, I am looking forward to applying my research on Atlantis to the actual model and begin the implementation phase of the project.

Posted By:
Emily Goetz, Florida State University 

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Sam Holladay's Internship, Summer 2014 - Part 4

Recently I have delved further into communication between the iPhone app and the server that receives its messages. The idea is that the iPhone app should communicate data to the server, which can then write data for later use. I have tried several ways of getting the iPhone app to successfully communicate with the server, but several problems remain. The app is still a work in progress, but has improved over past iterations; while it does not communicate successfully, I believe its method is right and it just needs some iterational improvement to make it better.

I have also learned a great deal about the rather opaque dynamics of iOS development. When developing apps one can either use a visual, storyboard-based approach or a textual, code-based approach. I have learned how one can connect the two so the storyboard is supported by the code, which greatly simplifies many of the Internet tutorials and guides I have been looking at (since some use the storyboard, while others use just code). I have therefore designed the first “level” of the app, its homepage, and will soon add additional pages that can be reached with a button.

Posted By:
Sam Holladay, Naval Research Laboratory